Please note: All images on this blog (except where noted) are original works of Miki Baxter and cannot be duplicated without permission. Also, if you're inspired by a project featured on here, then please link back to me and give proper credit. Thank you!!!

12.17.2010

Handmade Cone Trees

Cone trees may be my new obsession.
I just wanna keep making them, and it's not just me.
These fabric covered cones from The Exchange are amazing!!!
They're next on my To Do list.

So, the other night I was feeling rather hum drum.
My son was about to toss some empty cereal boxes into the recycling bin,
and an idea clicked.
They were the right weight to make sturdy cone trees!
 After opening each box to lay flat, I cut off the tabbed ends.
I rolled up each sheet of cardboard,
taping the seam once I formed a point at one end.
Then I cut along the bottom edge to make it stand up straight.
(Eyeballing it is less precise and may require several trims until the cone lays straight.)
 Now to the fun part...
For this teal and brown tree, I took two coordinating ribbons 
and alternated laying the diagonal stripes from top to bottom.
As the tree was being covered,
the stripes began to shift to a more horizontal direction,
eventually criss-crossing over.
I simply followed the direction of the stripes until the last finishing strip. 
 The trees below are wrapped in twine.
I adore both the sparkly, colorful designs of the holiday season
as well as the muted, natural looks.
I want both represented in my Christmas decor,
and these trees are a wonderfully textured and rustic element. 

 Large trees, small trees,
trees covered in fabric and trim.
Glittered trees, rustic trees.
More and more trees, please! 

Are you a fan of cone trees?
Any Christmas obsessions favorites???


Linking to these parties:

1 comment:

Lisa said...

They are gorgeous!!!