Please note: All images on this blog (except where noted) are original works of Miki Baxter and cannot be duplicated without permission. Also, if you're inspired by a project featured on here, then please link back to me and give proper credit. Thank you!!!

9.03.2010

Bright Eyes for Mature Eyes

There was a great comment on my "Bright Eyes" post about shimmery eyeshadows and whether they work for a more mature lady. I believe that make-up styles do need to be adjusted to make them more age appropriate, but everyone can enjoy the various looks. Why not???



One of my make-up inspirations for 50+ beauties is Helen Mirren:



photo credit: WireImage
Her eye make-up in this photo is bright, slightly shimmery, with dark lashes and eyeliner while her cheeks and lips are rosy. The overall look is similar to what I featured in the "Bright Eyes" post with the exception of the black eyeliner on both the top and bottom of the eyes. She is radiant and beautiful.

Some adjustment ideas for the "Bright Eyes" look for all of my va va va voom elder sisters:
Rather than using a shimmery eyeshadow all over the lid, I would try a light matte color and a gentle dab of shimmer on the middle of the eyelid, blending softly. By shimmery, I don't necessarily mean full-out glitter on the eyes either - there are eyeshadows with a tiny bit of sparkle in light colors like champagne that look amazing. And the amount of shimmer depends also on the occasion: major bling on the eyes for an evening out dancing, a subtle sparkle for an intimate dinner, or a light matte sweep and overall soft look for an afternoon event. 

I like watching the movie "Monster-In-Law" just to see how fabulous Jane Fonda looks in it! Her make-up throughout the movie was impeccable, and she has had some great red carpet moments in recent years.



photo credit: Ben Rose/WireImage
My mom allowed me to do her make-up (finally!) a few years ago, and these are the colors I used on her. My mom always used black liquid eyeliner and bright lipsticks - sometimes her look was quite severe. Peachy orange color on her eyes, cheeks and lips really softened up her face...and they are my "go to" colors for a fresh look. Jane Fonda looks gorgeous in them too!

At any age, I think it's important to vary your make-up according to what you like and feel good wearing, the occasion and season, and with knowledge of how to make it work for you. For example, testing a smoky eye before a big occasion and getting feedback from test photos as well as friends in the know. Or trying out various reds to find the one that looks best on you (I'm going to do a post on finding the right red lipstick in the near future.) I take a lot of test photos to see if new looks work on me - in fact, all of the pictures you see of me were taken by...ME!

Other ladies to consider for make-up inspirations are Diane Keaton (her campaign for L'Oreal is awesome!), Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon, Andie MacDowell, Alfre Woodard, Iman, just to name a few. Please feel free to comment and/or ask questions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You brought up so many great points! I'm truly at a crossroads with makeup and want a look that makes a statement without making a statement, if you know what I mean. Oh, the women you used as examples are all just beautiful, stunning and yet naturally beautiful.